Thursday, April 16, 2009

Gaming Generation and their impact on the world

I was only able to read one of the articles linked on the blackboard which was Got Game. The other article, Computer Games was posted upside down after the first few pages so I couldn't continue on. As a result I will only be discussing Got Game for the first portion of this blog. The article made a lot of relevant points in how today’s "Gaming Generation" is much more technically advanced and competitive in every aspect of their life. The article stressed many factors that can, and may possibly be attributed to this generation's mode of thinking, impact on society, relationships, and the structure of their life. The article states that games are the central factor for this generation’s production in life. I don't feel that is entirely true, however I do feel that an individual that is exposed to games routinely may have a different approach at how they apply themselves in life. I don't feel that gaming is the key or central factor to this, but yet their own experiences, peers, culture, and knowledge, are the central factors to each individuals strategic approach or dedication and application in life. There is big difference in the baby boomers generation and the gaming generation because of the constant and ever changing technicalogical advances in gaming, and how they relate to our modernized computerized culture. Most of the baby boomer culture is set in their ways, un-motivated, have very little knowledge or don't have access to games or computers that would give them the advantages that the gaming generation has over them. From playing games myself and growing up with an Atari, Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation, Playstation 2, Xbox, Xbox 360, as well as watching my husband and children play I do believe that gaming has its advantages. Gaming has given our generation the ability to step outside of your world just as literature does, and see the world through another character’s eyes, or be someone else for the moment and get lost in time. Games have given our generation the motivation to become competitive, seek leadership roles, process life as puzzles and see structure in various ways, based upon skills learned and applied through daily gaming interactions. Games have taught us patience, repetition, management, skilled hand eye coordination, computer literacy (if playing online) socialization, organization, math skills, and reading. I can continue on and break it down microscopically. Basically I do agree with the article that the gaming generation has a lot to offer this world and their employers. We as a nation or world are not yet as perceptive to this concept and don't recognize the advantages this has on our society and our world. This generation will bring about an evolution in gaming and its application to our society and the structure of life. Gaming is literature and is shaping a new generation and reaching all cultures and aspects of life. There is a story in each and every game, whether it plays a major role in the forefront or is just implied through the theme or mission of the game.The other article I read was on gamestudyjournal.com Living a Virtual Life: Social Dynamics of Online Gaming by Castulus Kolo & Timo Baur, it discussed the social impact of online gaming. From a personal perspective I can relate to the article because my family spends 85% - 90% of their time on Xbox Live. The impacts that I’ve seen are that they do develop a social network and enhance their online social skills. Online gaming allows them to become whoever they want, create a specific character, name and profile whether it's a true replica of themselves or not. Online gaming benefits these players by enhanced competitive skills, live interactions, international contacts and networking, self esteem, and self efficacy. Some of these skills can be applied to daily non-virtual interactions. These benefits can help these individuals to be successful in ever day life, set higher goals and standards for themselves, and have better opportunities in life. On the other hand these skills can also be seen as an enabler and limit them from various opportunities or advances in life, but I that is a whole different blog.

4 comments:

  1. Tomica, I agree that the gaming cohort has some distinct differences and some distinct advantages from previous cohorts. I have particularly noticed that the gaming cohort prefers concise and concrete communications, getting to the heart of the matter, and getting the job done quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that video games are not the main production of life in children. I do think that those who play video games have a very structured and unstructure mind. I say that because the stereotypes for your typical gamer are not true. Many gamers are CEO's of companies or who are in high management position jobs. I also agree with you that video games have brought a new type of a literature that has been developed over the past couple of years. I do not believe that all people in high work force positions are gamers but they account for a high percentage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You wrote a very good post. I agree with you that we can’t say that games playing the most important part in the new generation way of thinking. As you said there are much more things that have big influence on people who play videogames. You have one very good point that games can help people in their everyday lives. From my own experience I know that it helps. When I studied English, and now sometime I use gaming technology to work on my language skills, and it works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure it's useful to start by indicating that you didn't complete the reading. I would maybe, in this case, just focus on the one that you did read as opposed to ratting yourself out. It gives you more authority that way (even if the goal is to read all of them).

    I'd like to see you develop your ideas a bit more, and you have good ideas. Your responses are clear, but we only get little blips of explanation as opposed to a full-blown, specific, detailed reason for your arguments.

    Paragraphing would help this...I'm not sure why there aren't any paragraph breaks here.

    I love the personalization that you are able to put in here with your own experience. Making those personal connections is what these weekly synthesis pieces are all about.

    Your discussion of the gamejournal article is good, albeit brief. We will talk more about this subject later in the quarter, but I would like to see this idea taken to a logical conclusion in the response: so how does that article analyze the game(s), and how will that help you with game analysis?

    ReplyDelete